Will Donald Trump’s Ignorant Comments Cancel Miss USA?

On June 16th, Donald Trump announced his candidacy for president. During his speech, he went on a rant about Mexico and immigration problems:

“The U.S. has become a dumping ground for everybody else’s problems. … When Mexico sends its people, they’re not sending their best. They’re not sending you. They’re not sending you. They’re sending people that have lots of problems, and they’re bringing those problems with us. They’re bringing drugs. They’re bringing crime. They’re rapists. And some, I assume, are good people.

After Trump’s belligerent comments, there was obvious backlash from the community and Trump’s business partners, specifically involved with Miss USA, which is less than two weeks away.

NBCUniversal and Univision have a contract with Donald Trump’s Miss Universe Organization, where they agreed to broadcast the Miss USA, Miss Teen USA and Miss Universe pageants for five years. The contracts were worth around $13.5 million dollars a piece. Both companies have backed out of broadcasting the pageants after Trump’s remarks.

 

Who Has Cut Ties With Trump, So Far?

  • Univision: The biggest Spanish speaking broadcasting company in the United States was obviously not very happy about Trump’s remarks. They decided to end their partnership with the Miss Universe pageant.
  • NBC: They cut off Trump in all joint business affairs. They announced Monday that they won’t be broadcasting the annual Miss USA pageant on July 12th or the Miss Universe Pageant in January. NBC says Trump will not be welcome to participate in “The Celebrity Apprentice” moving forward. The show is currently being licensed to NBC by United Artists Media Group.
  • Televisa: The Mexican broadcasting company announced they will not be airing the Miss Universe pageant in January.
  • Cheryl Burke: The Dancing with the Stars choreographer and dancer announced that she will be not a co-host of Miss USA pageant this year.
  • Thomas Roberts: The MSNBC host has also withdrawn from his duties as a co-host of the pageant.
  • Cristian de la Fuente & Roselyn Sanchez: The co-hosts of the Spanish Broadcast announced they will be stepping down with their involvement with Miss USA. Cristian de la Fuente wrote a statement on Facebook saying “Mr. Trump, As a #Latino I cannot work in an event associated with your name. The statements you made against Mexicans and immigrants show that you are ignorant.”
  • Mexico Drops Out of Trump’s Miss Universe Pageant: Lupita Jones, Mexico’s pageant director, has pulled out of the Miss Universe pageant.
  • Columbian artist J Balvin backs out of performance at Miss USA: Even though it would have been his first national television performance, he has decided not to perform.
  • 5 Rabbit Cerveceria – The Bedford Park brewery has ended their partnership with Trump Hotel Chicago’s bar.
  • CHI & Biosilk back out as sponsors of Miss USA: Farouk Systems, the company owning the two high-end beauty companies, announced that they are pulling their sponsorship from the pageant.

Customers have started a petition calling Macy’s to drop Trump’s merchandise. There are over 720,000 signatures as of Tuesday night.

 

Lawsuit Against Univision

As promised, Trump announced on Tuesday afternoon that he filed a $500 million lawsuit against Univision for breach of contract. He claims this was a “thinly veiled attempt” by Univision because the network is “principally owned by longtime Clinton Foundation and current Hilary Clinton fundraiser” and they are trying to “suppress Mr. Trump’s freedom of speech under the first amendment.”

I’m sure the lawsuit against NBC is coming next.

 

Will The Miss USA Pageant Go On?

The pageant, which is taking place in less than two weeks, has no television broadcasting…. or hosts…

Miss Universe said in a statement “that the show will go on.” They also stated that there are six Latinas (four of whom are of Mexican descent) who are competing for the crown.

Many of the contestants have spent years dreaming of competing on national television for the chance to win Miss USA. They have spent endless time and money on coaching, dresses, interview outfits, gym sessions and traveling in anticipation of walking the Miss USA stage. I know several outstanding young women who are competing in July and who have competed in past Miss USA pageants. It’s a shame that Trump’s comments are affecting the 51 contestants who have worked so hard.

subscribe

SIGN ME UP