Time be be informed before happy hour begins and we’ve got this week’s headlines just for you.
The news was all about President Obama, Putin, Planned Parenthood, and National Coffee Day. Pope Francis ended his U.S. trip on Sunday, flying back to Vatican City, but he lost his “cool” card with many Americans after a secret meeting was discovered. There were signs of water on Mars that excited everyone about life outside of earth. Snowden’s having some fun on Twitter and you might be able to score a free year’s worth of Chick-fil-A.
Curious? Here’s the gist of the week:
Wipe the sweat off your forehead, a government shutdown was avoided…for now
- On Wednesday, Congress passed a temporary spending bill that avoided a government shutdown.
- Confused? The new fiscal year started Thursday at midnight, and the democrats and republicans couldn’t agree on a spending budget for the government before it started — here comes the panic mode.
- As said before, this is only a temporary fix because the funding only lasts until Dec. 11.
- Some looming concerns on creating the long-term government budget include raising the debt ceiling and cutting off Planned Parenthood funding.
- House of Representatives put Planned Parenthood CEO Cecile Richards on the hot seat Tuesday, pounding her with questions about the health organization and its officials allegedly selling fetal tissues for profit.
- An anti-abortion group released videos earlier this summer of Planned Parenthood workers talking about selling fetal tissues from abortions for money.
- Richards said during the panel, “The latest smear campaign is based on efforts by our opponents to entrap our doctors and clinicians into breaking the law — and once again our opponents failed.”
- Many republicans in Congress are using the videos as a way to convince other politicians to vote to defund Planned Parenthood.
- As many of you know, Planned Parenthood doesn’t just perform abortions, which majority of these politicians are concerned about.
- The organization also provides STD screenings, check-ups for women, contraceptives, and other services. More women have gone to a Planned Parenthood clinic than people expect, and it has helped many low-income people get the healthcare they need.
— Cecile Richards (@CecileRichards) September 29, 2015
— Ariana Grande (@ArianaGrande) September 29, 2015
Obama’s in NYC this week for the UN Summit. Here are some talking points he hit:
- On UN Peacekeepers: El Prez announced on Monday that more than 50 countries pledge 40,000 peacekeepers for possible deployment on UN missions.
- On ISIS: Obama said he was willing to work with Iran and Russia to help defeat ISIS, and work on the Syrian Civil War and outpour of refugees from the area.
- On meeting Putin since 2013: The Russian president brought the cold air from his country and into the meeting. Obama and Putin met for the first time in two years.
- Putin hasn’t attended a UN summit since 2005.
- Obama and Putin attacked each other’s policies on Ukraine and Syria. Critics say Putin won this battle because he showed his strength in commanding attention.
- Putin skillfully diverted away from talking about Ukraine, which was priority on Obama’s agenda.
- Obama and Putin even shared a toast, and just looking at the picture makes us all uncomfortable.
The Pope came to visit last week, and secretly met with the Kentucky clerk who refused marriage licenses
- The Pope’s U.S. trip to Washington D.C., New York and Philadelphia had news stations battling it out to see who had the best “pope coverage,” and people from all over the world flocked to these cities.
- Everyone was all about Pope Francis as the ~people’s pope~ until they found out on Wednesday he secretly met with Kim Davis.
- Yes, Kim Davis, the Kentucky clerk who refused to issue marriage licenses to straight and gay couples because she didn’t believe in same-sex marriage.
- Kim Davis met with the pope at the Vatican embassy in Washington D.C. last Thursday, the same day he addressed congress.
- Davis told reporters Pope Francis “thanked her for her courage and told her to ‘stay strong.’”
It's almost like the Pope didn't read all our Kim Davis tweets.
— Mike Drucker (@MikeDrucker) September 30, 2015
It saddens me that @Pontifex actually made time for Kim Davis, when countless others fighting for humanity have been denied and ignored.
— Timothy Malcolm (@tsmalcolm) September 30, 2015
POPE: Pray for me. KIM DAVIS: Validate me. POPE: Where did you park? #KentucyClerk
— Jeremy Newberger (@jeremynewberger) September 30, 2015
Boehner resigned, and now it’s a battle for the majority seat
- Last Friday, House majority speaker John Boehner announced he is resigning from Congress.
- “This morning I woke up, said my prayers, as I always do, and thought, ‘This is the day I am going to do this.’” Boehner said in his emotional announcement.
- Boehner is known as one of the most openly emotional politicians to have ever existed in Congress, or ever. He has cried multiple times — during talk shows, in meetings, and even during the pope’s speech to Congress.
- Someone who really wants the seat: California representative Kevin McCarthy
- The Palestinian flag was raised for the first time at UN headquarters.
- This is a huge step for Palestine, who has been pressing for state recognition.
- President of Palestine Authority said it was a “proud day.”
- Edward Snowden is back and taking on Twitter.
- The ex-government worker is currently living in exile in Russia(?)
- Snowden only follows @NSAgov. Bet they liked that after he leaked thousands of documents on NSA’s surveillance program. Here’s your big FU from Snowden.
- Some famous peeps have joined in to welcome him on Twitter.
Can you hear me now?
— Edward Snowden (@Snowden) September 29, 2015
— Jesse Ventura (@GovJVentura) September 29, 2015
— Chris Anderson (@TEDchris) September 29, 2015
- The organization announced on Tuesday that they discovered water flowing through Mars surface from time to time.
- This is potentially water that living organisms can live on. There is life!
- JK, not definitely. It doesn’t prove that there is/was life on Mars, but it does give hope.
- Carrey’s on-again, off-again girlfriend Cathriona White was found dead Tuesday morning from an apparent suicide.
- They started dating in 2012, broke up in less than a year.
- They started dating again this year, but from White’s suicide note, they had recently broke up again.
- Carrey said White was, “a truly kind and delicate Irish flower, too sensitive for this soil, to whom loving and being loved was all that sparkled.”
And for all the fun stuff that’s happening in the world…
- “The Daily Show with Trevor Noah” officially took over on Monday.
- Jon Stewart left his own show after hosting it for 16 years and passed the coveted baton to Trevor Noah, who received some backlash for past tweets.
— Dani Klein (@YeahThatsKosher) March 30, 2015
- The show’s structure hasn’t changed, but the voices in it have. A few more changes are expected because, really, you can’t be Jon Stewart.
- The 3-story Chick-fil-A grand opening is this Saturday and YOU can score free food for a year.
- Yup, if you’re one of the first 100 people in line during opening hours you will be able win free Chick-fil-A for a whole year!
- BUT you have to be a local resident, meaning 11-mile radius of the restaurant. There will be a list of eligible zip codes that qualify. Sorry Jersey people #bye.
- This location is expected to be one of the highest grossing restaurant for the chain.
- P.S.: The Chick-fil-A is located in Herald Square, between 37th and 6th Avenue (you’re welcome).
Yes, there’s finally a “Netflix and Chill” button
- Stay calm, this is not a drill.
- It’s called “The Switch”— it will 1. Dim your lights, 2. Put your phone on “Do Not Disturb,” and 3. Stream your movie/show.
- Really, there’s no reason to leave your house anymore.
Gigi Hadid admits she’s human, a woman, and slams haters on Instagram
- Gigi Haded posted an Instagram of a message saying the negative comments got to her (like any normal human being) and she addressed them head on.
- “You can make up all the reasons you think I am where I am, but really, I’m a hard worker that’s confident in myself, one that came at a time where the fashion industry was ready for a change,” Hadid said.
- “Yes, I have boobs, I have abs, I have a butt, I have thighs, but I’m not asking for special treatment.”
- Hadid, who comes from a well-known family, defended her claim to fame and shut down all the body shamers.
- Two words: woman power ????
- She’s currently walking in Paris Fashion Week. Before she was at London Fashion Week and Milan Fashion Week.
Canada is banning microbeads because they’re actually tiny plastic balls polluting the environment
- Those microbeads that claim to help blast away acne and clean your teeth better in dozens of hygiene products aren’t really anything but plastic.
- Canada is banning products with microbeads because they are going into rivers, streams, and oceans and causing some serious damage to the environment.
- Usually water goes through filters in wastewater plants before going back into the world. Microbeads, however, are too small for filters to catch them
- Everytime you use a face wash with microbeads (aka if you use Clean&Clear or Neutrogena), you’re actually releasing plastic into the environment.
- The Canadians are doing without it and so should the U.S.
- New York State dumps 19 tons of microbeads down the drain every year. That’s a shit-ton of plastic added to nature.
National Coffee Day was on Tuesday and everyone showed off their best coffee insta
- The news part of this headline — Dunkin, Mcky D’s and few other places gave out a free cup of joe that day.
- This was every coffee addict’s favorite holiday. Cheers to caffeine.