Ahh summer – the time for music festivals, weekends at the beach, and just generally being outside all day long with the freedom to go anywhere and do anything you want. The last thing you need to be inhibited by is your makeup sliding around (and eventually off) your face. These are my tried and true beauty staples for the summer months.
1. A Base With Benefits
- Serious sunscreen is a must in the summer, especially when you’re at the beach. But you do want some light added protection even day to day. My absolute favorite base product is the Garnier BB Cream. It has an SPF of 20 and a build-able coverage that’s much fuller than a regular tinted moisturizer. You’ll get the look of a light foundation with the weightless feel of a moisturizer and the protection of a sunscreen. The product is water resistant, so your sweat won’t be the enemy.
2. Waterproof Mascara
- You do not want to be diving into the water like a beautiful mermaid and resurfacing as a panda. Get yourself some waterproof mascara. Almost every one of your favorite regular mascaras has a counterpart with a formula that has been altered slightly to stay on your face no matter how sweaty or waterlogged you become.
- My go to is L’Oreal’s Voluminous Million Lashes waterproof version – it’s not too difficult to take off at night. For a higher end suggestion, check out Tarte Lights, Camera, Splashes mascara which claims to be “a push up bikini for your lashes.” (!!!)
3. Shadow That Won’t Shake
- In my humble opinion (that comes from lots of embarrassing experience), eyeliner is best left for days that you’re nowhere near salt water, sunscreen, or sweat. On a hot summer day at the beach, forego the liner and find yourself a waterproof, cream shadow to dust on your lids that’ll give you some shimmer and definition when the sun hits you. Maybelline makes some incredible eyeshadow pots full of completely waterproof magic with big color payoff that claim to last 24 hours of wear.
- My favorite shade is the Maybelline Color Tattoo in “Bad to the Bronze.” Sweep a layer of this onto the lids with a finger and it honestly will last all day. Another option is anything from Rimmel’s Scandaleye’s Shadow Sticks line. These are even easier to pop in your purse for touch ups on the go.
4. Keep Your Lips Kissable
- The beach is not the time for the boldest of lips, but a bit of color on your pout paired with oversized sunglasses will give you effortless glam. The priority should be finding a lip balm with SPF. The skin on your lips regenerates more often than the rest of your body, which means it also burns easier.
- To avoid flaky lips, use nothing less than an SPF of 15 and reapply constantly. My fancy favorite is Fresh’s Sugar Lip Treatment Sunscreen in “Berry.” A less expensive version of a similar dream is Neutrogena’s Revitalizing Lip Balm in “Sunny Berry.” It’s about a third of the price and actually has a higher SPF. Das cool. Happy tanning!