Alright people, if today’s weather is any indication, summer is actually going to show up this year. So, as the days get hotter and the shorts get shorter, it’s time to get to work on that hot dream bod.
If you’re anything like I was, you can’t stand the concept of a gym. It’s this huge place filled with the world’s largest collection of perfect human specimens, right? Wrong.
I’ve learned that it’s just not true. The fact is, there are as many Hulks at the gym as there are Spongebobs, and everyone else falls somewhere in between. So here are my 5 tips for getting past the gym-timidation and getting your sexy back.
Tip # 1: Get the RIGHT gym membership:
- Be honest with yourself; is this your first try at joining a gym? If so, you probably don’t need to pay $100/mo for some ritzy gym with Himalayan volcano steam rooms and gold-plated free weights. You probably don’t even know what free weights are for yet! Do your research and find the gym that’s right for your fitness needs. You’re more likely to feel like you belong if you’re in the right place. Planet Fitness is my personal fave.
Tip #2: Get motivated for the gym
- Step 1, look in the mirror. Step 2, look at Beyonce. Step 3, go to the gym.
- But seriously, the best thing you can do is get yourself psyched up to be there. What works for me is to look up a few workouts I’d like to try on YouTube. You’ll be excited to have a plan and purpose, and it will help you avoid that awkward time tiptoeing around the machines, figuring out what to do next.
Tip #3: Get a fly outfit
- Remember how excited you were for the first day of school? It’s not because you couldn’t wait to get into AP Calc, it’s because you were excited to show off your sweet new Converses! So, go grab some new clothes for the gym. There’s nothing better than looking the part to help you get into the groove.
Tip #4: Get over the gym rats
- No matter where you go, there will be a few serious meatheads at your gym. Even if you go to the YMCA hoping to surround yourself with 70 year olds, there will be some juicer there, using his granddad’s free membership. Learn to tune these folks out. Get your headphones in and just focus on what you need to do to get a good workout.
Tip #5: Get over YOURSELF!
- Remember those meatheads? Believe it or not, they didn’t get that swole from staring at other people at the gym all day. They aren’t worried about you at all. Yes, some people may check you out, but that’s why you’re rocking your hot pink Asics, looking good! Besides, when was the last time you walked into a room and didn’t look at anyone at all? So, don’t worry about any side eyes. Just get in your zone and get-er-done!
We’d love to know your go-to methods for getting over Gym-timidation! What do you do to stay focused and get sexified?