It’s not even Thanksgiving yet and people are already declaring a war on Christmas and prepared to trample each other to get the best Black Friday deals. Everyone is in the holiday spirit except for the Republicans at the fourth GOP debate. Taylor Swift is shaking off her lawsuit, cars are getting swallowed up at an IHOP parking lot, and uh-oh, we got another SpeghettiO-related recall.
Aside from Missy blessing us with a new single for the first time in seven years, a big fat surprise is waiting for you at the end (hint: it’s a movie sequel we’ve been waiting to happen for YEARS).
Here’s the gist of what happened in the news this week.
- As debate number 4 rolled around, the republicans were set and ready…after they made their list of demands, of course (like having the room be 67 degrees or below).
- Two notable people were missing from the big kids debate, though: Chris Christie and Mike Huckabee. Their low poll ratings weren’t enough to give them the pass this time.
- Not many crazy things heard from the day after. Here’s what happened:
- Donald Trump on immigration: He still wants to build a wall between the U.S. and Mexico and also deport some 11 million Mexicans. He defended his oh-so-brilliant idea, but John Kasich (the one who defended gay people in debate 1), said hey, that’s not so smart. He said to think about the families being torn apart.
- Marco Rubio nailed almost every question by talking about himself: Rubio has been gaining momentum in the polls. Notable answer: “I know the world is a safer and better place when America is the strongest military power in the world.”
- Ben Carson thanked the moderators for not asking about his childhood: Carson’s past comments are haunting him. Recent articles of how Carson said he believed Joseph built the Egyptian pyramids to store food and how Jews could have saved themselves if they had guns during the holocaust…His notable quote: “I’m not in favor of aborting anybody” when asked if he would abort baby Hitler.
- And Jeb Bush struggled to regain his lead: The third Bush running for president is losing his support group. He got his shining moment by attacking Trump (again). Bush spoke out more, but he’s still in the background.
- And they all think if Hillary was elected the world will blow up into a million pieces. The classic [republican] thought.
University of Missouri president steps down after mishandling racial issues:
- University of Missouri president Tim Wolfe resigned Monday as reports of him mishandling race cases are gathering steam nationwide.
- Last month, ConcernedStudent1950 protest organization handed the Mizzou board a list of demands. Having Wolfe ousted as prez was on there.
- “I take full responsibility for this frustration and I take full responsibility for inaction that has occurred,” Wolfe said during his resignation speech.
- Mizzou’s football team threatened not to play another game without Butler, a student who was on a hunger strike to bring awareness to racial tensions.
— Coach Gary Pinkel (@GaryPinkel) November 8, 2015
- Last month, someone drew a swastika on a wall of one of the residence houses, then smeared it with feces.
- Race is still a huge issue, and now college students nationwide are taking to social media to say they are standing by the students of Mizzou.
- And yes, this is just the beginning.
- Governor Andrew Cuomo announced he will raise the minimum wage for all New York state workers to $15, the first state to raise it that high.
- The hourly rate would be increased gradually.
- The minimum wage is set to reach $15/hr by 2021.
- Cuomo is trying to decrease poverty and economic inequality in New York, a struggling fight he hopes a higher minimum wage will help with. However, people are skeptical about this decision, asking where the money will come from to hold up this increase.
SeaWorld is finally ending the killer whale shows at San Diego Park:
- If you haven’t seen “Blackfish,” ask your bestie right now for his/her Netflix password and watch it.
- SeaWorld announced on Monday it will phase out the killer whale shows at its San Diego Park, the first step it’s taken after receiving backlash for cruel treatment of the orcas.
- The documentary “Blackfish” revealed the damaging effects of keeping orcas in captivity. Orcas became violent, cruel (when they’re generally kind animals) and tend to die earlier.
- After the documentary, SeaWorld’s profits dipped 37 percent.
- One park down, two more states to go.
- Imagine going into IHOP and enjoying a delicious stack of pancakes when the power goes out and you hear the earth crumble outside.
- That’s what happened at an IHOP in Mississippi when the parking lot collapsed and swallowed a dozen cars.
- Authorities said it’s not really a sinkhole because it didn’t collapse due to natural causes, it was caused by construction work.
- Good luck getting your cars out, guys.
— Good Morning America (@GMA) November 9, 2015
H&M won’t be open on Thanksgiving this year:
- H&M is feeling the holiday joy and decided this year, it wants all its workers to enjoy some Thanksgiving turkey.
- Other stores also following H&M’s lead include REI and Staples.
- Target, Best Buy, and Macy’s are sticking to what they know and are still opening on Thursday, some as early as 5 p.m.
- Blame it on the crazy customers who just need to get their hands on some Black Friday deals. People actually camp out for this…and also die.
Bloomingdale’s apologizes for its “Spike your best friend’s eggnog” holiday ad:
- We all love a good Bloomingdale’s post-Christmas sale, but not so much that we are going to spike our friend’s drink.
- The department chain received major backlash when their new holiday catalog came out (yay) but an ad said, “spike your best friend’s eggnog when they’re not looking” (ahh no).
- What makes it worse are the models. One girl is looking off and having a grand ole time while a man creepily stares at her.
- People are saying the ad promotes date rape and are generally calling out Bloomingdale’s for the bad ad.
- The company has since apologized on Twitter and said it acknowledges the ad was done in “poor taste.”
— Robyn Swirling (@RSwirling) November 10, 2015
We heard your feedback about our catalog copy, which was inappropriate and in poor taste. Bloomingdale's sincerely apologizes.
— Bloomingdale's (@Bloomingdales) November 10, 2015
Local malls are receiving backlash for futuristic-looking Santa displays:
- Families who are going to their local mall to take the classic Santa pictures are saying WTF to the new displays.
- Many malls opted to put “glacier experience” displays up instead of the usual “Santa with Christmas tree and ornaments and fake snow” displays this year.
- Moms are mad, children are crying, and the Scrooge has finally taken over Christmas.
- Don’t worry, though. Malls received so many complaints that a few are taking down the futuristic display and putting up the Christmas tree again.
- Blame the whole thing on the Grinch.
— NBC Los Angeles (@NBCLA) November 8, 2015
— Gothamist (@Gothamist) November 10, 2015
Starbucks is also receiving major backlash for its plain red holiday cups:
- It’s not just a cup to everyone, guys. Starbucks brought back the red holiday cups, but they’re not as festive as previous years.
- Instead of snowflakes, trees, and Christmas ornaments, they’re a simple ombre red.
- Starbucks released a statement saying it wanted to embrace all holidays and instead made a red cup that people can enjoy and even design if they like.
- People aren’t mad. They are OUTRAGED. Like, protesting Starbucks outraged.
— Starbucks News (@Starbucksnews) November 2, 2015
— Starbucks News (@Starbucksnews) November 13, 2014
— Feisty☀️Floridian (@peddoc63) November 5, 2015
The Starbucks Red Cups were so much nicer last year. Wtf happened. #redcups #starbuckscup #christmas #xmas #jul #starbuckscups #redcup #starbucks #wtf #instalike #instagood #tagsforlikes #likemypic #timehop #throwback #coffee #coffeeporn #coffeelovers #kaffe #fika #coffeeaddict #whathappened #wtfhappened #christmastime #lastyear #notcool #red #cups #cupart A photo posted by Mirjana GN (@mirjana_gn) on
— James (@jager2020) November 6, 2015
Some even went so far as telling Starbucks baristas that their names are “Merry Christmas“:
- Yup, this is happening too. Nothing says “We want festive” like demanding to have “Merry Christmas” written on the cups.
But this Starbucks cup speaks the truth:
- In reality, not everyone is THAT angry.
- Some have even started the hashtag #ItsJustACup, telling people to get over themselves because there’s more to life than bitching about a cup.
And if you really don’t like the Starbuck’s holiday cups, you can always go to Dunkin’:
- Just as everyone loses their minds about Starbucks’ “war on Christmas” cups, Dunkin’ Donuts released its holiday cup and it’s much more festive.
- People are so into it that Christian groups are actually asking everyone to buy Dunkin’ instead because the company embraces Christmas.
— Katherine Lam (@klammy92) November 12, 2015
Joe’s Crab Shack is now telling customers “no tipping“:
- Are the days of tipping over?
- Joe’s Crab Shack is doing away the tipping policy and implementing the “forward-thinking” policy.
- Servers, hosts and bartenders will now be paid at a higher fixed wage instead of the $3 wage plus tips.
- This is the first major food chain to implement the “no-tipping” policy in all its restuarants.
Uh-Oh, you got another recall to watch out for:
- If you brought a can of Campbell’s SpaghettiOs stamped with the date February 22, 2017, throw it out.
- It’s a choking hazard. That’s all you need to know.
The VS Fashion Show happened on Tuesday:
- Just in case you were wondering and you needed something to look forward to.
- Kendall, Gigi, Behati and the whole Angels gang documented the day on Instagram and gave us just enough of a sneak peak to want to 1) hate on them for having perfect bodies and 2) still want to watch the fashion show when it airs.
- The show airs on Dec. 8. Set your TiVo.
This is exactly how I woke up today ????????lol #vsfashionshow A photo posted by Behati Prinsloo Levine (@behatiprinsloo) on
Your #VSFashionShow Class of 2015! ???????? Tune in to see them all walk the runway Dec 8, 10/9c on #CBS. Now onto the after party! A photo posted by Victoria’s Secret (@victoriassecret) on
Judge dismisses Taylor Swift’s copyright lawsuit and did it in the most appropriate fashion:
- Taylor beat out another lawsuit. Not only because it was completely ridiculous, but also because the judge is a Swift fan.
- In the most tasteful and lyrical way, the judge used Taylor’s song lyrics in the conclusion statement and it’s the best court document you will ever read.
— Bill Donahue (@BDonahueLaw360) November 12, 2015
A Game of Thrones actor accidentally leaks script:
— andee olivares (@o3flasho3) November 5, 2015
- In other important TV news, A cast member from Game of Thrones accidentally “leaked” a page of the script when he took an Instagram of it.
- When you first look at the picture, you can’t make out any of the words, but people got clever and zoomed in all the way.
- Actor Elie Haddad deleted the post a few hours later, but it was too late.
- A portion of the script was revealed. Spoiler Alert!!
Several khals agree with
‘I like her’
Several khals agree with
‘She’s paler than milk’
‘I bet she turns nice and pink when you pinch her’
‘I want to know what a Khaleesi tastes like’
‘Good. You can suck my dick’
Laughter all around
Get ready for “My Big Fat Greek Wedding 2”:
- This is a classic for 20somethings, and they’re bringing it back 2.0.
- The original cast is all there and the daughter is grown up. There’s another big fat Greek wedding going down. It’s a must watch already based on the trailer.