Until now, Amazon Echo was only available by invitation. Customers can now order Amazon Echo for $179.99, and it will start shipping on July 14th.
Amazon Echo is a voice-activated personal assistant. It’s a 9-inch-tall cylinder that can be placed in any room of your home or office. Alexa – the voice of Echo – can respond to voice commands or through the app on your smartphone. Alexa can answer questions, like Siri or Google Now, and can restock your groceries, check your calendar, and give you weather updates.
There are seven microphones inside of Echo, which use beam-forming technology to hear you. Echo also has enhanced noise cancellation features that can even hear you while music is playing.
Here are some of the best features you’ll find on Amazon Echo:
1. Listen to Music:
- Hands-free voice control is provided for Amazon Music, Prime Music, Pandora, iHeartRadio, and TuneIn.
- It’s also bluetooth-enabled, so it can play Spotify or iTunes from your device.
2. Control of Your Home & Life Management:
- Lights and switches from Belkin WeMo and Philips Hue can be linked up to Echo. You can check your schedule, set alarms and timers, and make shopping and to-do lists.
3. Stay Informed:
- News and minute weather are available on Echo, through local radio stations, NPR, and ESPN from TuneIn. You can also ask Alexa about sports scores and schedules for the NFL, NBA, MLB and MLS.
4. Don’t Ever Be Late For Work Again:
- Echo is able to give you commute time, and can even advise you on the fastest route.
- You can restock on previously purchased items from Amazon when reordering prime-eligible products to your Amazon cart.
So far, Amazon Echo has had a lot of positive feedback. There are almost 20,000 customer reviews, with a 4.5 star average rating.