Say hello to the future. First it was guns, then functioning organs, and now, 3D printed foods! Okay we’re not quite there yet, but very soon, the possibility of using a 3D printer to prepare all of your meals may exist in every household. Currently, 3D printed foods are limited to simple moldable foods such as chocolate, pastas, and dough products like cookies, you know, the fun stuff. However, later this year, Foodini, a 3D printer aimed at producing healthier food options, will have a limited release. The biggest challenge has been how to insert nutrients into foods that can be 3D printed, and the great Foodini seems to have tackled the challenge of producing real foods with natural ingredients.
The benefits of get the great Foodini
- Easy Meal Prep: Imagine needing less counter space and less time to prep your meals. There would be less dishes, less fighting with your roommate and new ways to impress dates.
- Healthy Options: Preparing homemade healthy meals is always more difficult than buying pre-packaged healthy foods. This gives you the option of preparing healthy eats at the touch of a few buttons. I’ll take nutritious tech mush over cookies any day!
- Portability: Just about any industry could use a portable meal prep system. NASA, military branches, hotels, schools, the possibilities of where and how food is prepared will change once a healthier option is introduced. From oven to 3D printer, as things get smaller, they get better.
- Quantity: The possibility of mass producing foods in countries which are suffering from hunger and resources is one of the biggest benefits. Disaster relief missions will also have the ability to provide people in need with nutritious options for survival.
- Cost: Each Foodini unit will cost close to $1500 per unit. This “must have” unit will only go to those who can afford it.
- Culinary Skills: Preparing meals in many places is as much about the art form as it is about the nutritional value of the food. Though a 3D printer will be able to produce beautiful-looking food, there will be a decreased need for food industry artists.
- I, Robot Takeover: Okay this may not be a valid concern, but the more work that we give to machines in our daily lives, the easier an A.I. takeover will occur. When the robots finally initiate their takeover, they can now either poison us or starve us out.
As a meal prep aficionado, I’m excited at how this could change lives. The thought of not having to set aside an entire half day to meal prep for a week or knowing that healthy options will be more accessible than pre-packaged foods, gives me hope for the the rising obesity rate. Hopefully this leads to a healthier overall human race with unlimited food options.